Monday 21 September 2009

Beckford Tower



In Bath, 2008, I visited Beckford Tower one day on a whim and learned something interesting about the street I walked along every day to uni. The tower itself stands a couple of miles outside town, up one side of the valley. The original building was linked by a track to a house much closer to the town centre (a house I passed every day). It turned out that William Beckford had lived there, having conjoined two houses with a private walkway corridor (which, today, over-arches the entrance to the car park). Here are some images of the place; the tower is accompanied by a graveyard for friends and relatives of Beckford, and, of course, himself.





The tourist’s obligatory arty staircase photo.



It’s difficult to appreciate it knowing it was paid for by slavery.






No comments:

Post a Comment

➔ Please do not copy any image from this blog without permission; I keep proof of ownership on all of my work ☺